Serving Size: 1 Slice (1/14 of loaf). Makes 14 slices.
Here’s an easy recipe for a delicious pumpkin loaf with boosted fibre and protein courtesy of the addition of lentils. Nothing beats a warm, aromatic pumpkin loaf on a cool autumn day... Can’t you smell it already?
1 cup (250 ml) canned pumpkin
1 cup (250 ml) lentil purée*
¼ cup (50 ml) canola oil
¾ cup (175 ml) granulated sugar
1 tbsp (15 ml) orange rind
1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 ml) whole wheat flour
2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
1 ½ tsp (7 ml) cinnamon
½ tsp (2 ml) baking soda
¼ tsp (1 ml) ground cloves
¼ tsp (1 ml) ground ginger
pinch (1 ml) salt
- MIX pumpkin, lentil purée, canola oil, eggs and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in orange rind.
- COMBINE flours, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt.
- ADD dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture and stir well together.
- POUR batter into a 9” loaf pan coated with nonstick spray or parchment paper.
- BAKE loaf at 350ºF (180ºC) for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- COOL for ten minutes and remove from loaf pan and let cool completely on wire rack.
*Lentil Purée: Rinse and drain a 19-ounce can of lentils. Place in food processor, add ¼ cup hot water, and purée until the mixture is very smooth, adding more water in small amounts to reach desired consistency, similar to baby food, about 5 minutes. Scrape down sides of the bowl as needed. Refrigerate or freeze unused lentil purée for your next batch!