Pulses, what’s not to love? Sustainable. Healthy. Nutritious. Versatile. Cost effective. They check every box on a chef’s ingredient wish list.
Pulses can transform a menu. Use them in unique applications, such as:
- Blending and extending meat dishes by adding pulses to the mix to lower protein costs and up the health benefits;
- Whipping up chickpea brine into foam for a plant-based substitute for egg whites (reduce waste!);
- Baking with pulse flour to create gluten-free desserts;
- Pureeing pulses in sweet-based applications and reducing fats and butter content by half;
- Pickling pulses as flavour enhancers to many dishes; and
- Frying chickpeas and seasoning them to make a delicious bar snack.
Learn More about Pulse Applications for Foodservice in OnPulse Magazine
OnPulse Magazine is a foodservice trade publication created by the Culinary institute of America, in collaboration with Lentils.org and Pulse Canada. OnPulse explores all types of pulses and pulse ingredients and how to apply them in various applications across foodservice operations.